Wow, #cancer is big business.
-
Wow, #cancer is big business.
I had my post-op visit with the surgeon today and it got me thinking about this after I saw the self-pay option sign in the exit waiting room. Breast MRI $700. PET scans ranging from $3600 to $7K.
I've gained a surgeon and a team of surgical staff including anesthesiologist for two surgeries. A radiation oncologist and 20 sessions of radiation therapy. Apparently I need a medical oncologist too? For some pills and a referral for genetic counseling to make sure my genes aren't carrying more breast cancer. Whatever meds I've needed and will need. Lots more frequent mammograms.
That's a lot of money. And my cancer is relatively minor and I've been told it's the "best" kind of breast cancer to get because of lack of risk of spreading.
Cynical old me thinks that this is the real reason cancer hasn't been cured yet. It makes too much profit.
Same with my other problem, HIV. My meds for that alone are like $40K a year.
-
T #medicine shared this topic
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better đź’—
Register Login