Is this a medical device?
-
I just saw a person walking around with what looked like a light blue plastic collar around their throat with a valve. I obviously couldn't upload a picture of it.
-
System crossposted this topic to General Medicine
-
T #medicine shared this topic
-
I just saw a person walking around with what looked like a light blue plastic collar around their throat with a valve. I obviously couldn't upload a picture of it.
It's probably a tracheostomy implant

-
It's probably a tracheostomy implant

Sic! Thanks!
-
It's probably a tracheostomy implant

Silly question – why might one need one longer term? I think it’s a trauma procedure - but even now can’t think why…. unless you were choking on something above that point.
-
Silly question – why might one need one longer term? I think it’s a trauma procedure - but even now can’t think why…. unless you were choking on something above that point.
Lots of cases, the throat is destroyed by a tumor, or the surgery to remove the tumor. These people may have to wear these for weeks for recovery or permanently. (permanent patients will likely have a similar port in their belly to pump Ensure into their stomach)
The most common cause is smoking of course. I've seen half a dozen people smoke through their trach.
-
I just saw a person walking around with what looked like a light blue plastic collar around their throat with a valve. I obviously couldn't upload a picture of it.
Yes.
They've probably had a tracheotomy
-
Silly question – why might one need one longer term? I think it’s a trauma procedure - but even now can’t think why…. unless you were choking on something above that point.
A temporary tracheostomy can be a trauma procedure - it's a way of securing the airway by directly ventilating into the trachea via the tracheostomy tube. When there is an injury or severe swelling in the neck, there is a risk of the airway blocking off and also a risk of debris including blood going into the windpipe from the mouth/throat as they're joined together. People can suffocate or even effectively drown from stuff going into the airways (aspiration). So a temporary trachestomy bypasses the upper airway and a balloon helps stop stuff going down.
A temporary tracheostomy can also be used prior to and after surgery for cancer if basic structures of the deep neck are intact. The cancer or swelling from treatment like radiotherapy can compromise the airway temporarily. In that situation once everything is healed, there is still a safe separation between the airway and the food pipe and the tracheostomy can be taken out.
A permanent tracheostomy is usually after cancer, after a total laryngectomy (the voice box is removed) or a laryngopharyngectomy (the voice box and the food pipe is removed). The food pipe can be reconnected but it's not safe to reconnect it to the airway so there is a permanent connection to the skin made instead.
Tracheostomy literally means opening into the trachea. The trachea is the lower airway, and a stoma is an artificially created opening.
-
Lots of cases, the throat is destroyed by a tumor, or the surgery to remove the tumor. These people may have to wear these for weeks for recovery or permanently. (permanent patients will likely have a similar port in their belly to pump Ensure into their stomach)
The most common cause is smoking of course. I've seen half a dozen people smoke through their trach.
Shut up. I so need to "google" this.
Edit: fuck me. I cannot unsee that. With all respect to those that smoke for whatever reason.

Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login